Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Last Weekend, Next Week

Well, work has me down and out.  And actually away this week as well.  Thus the great dearth of writing, for which I apologize.  But alas - all should be back to normal next week...at least I hope so.  But until then, I thought I would share some reasons why if you aren't a cyclist in Columbia, Missouri, then it truly sucks to be you.  All of these photos were taken this past weekend around our lovely little COMO, which makes me love this place all the more.  This past weekend was the Bike, Walk and Wheel Week kickoff event which had many colorful displays of bicycles.  Take the unamused gentlmen who had a small puppet of Betty White riding in his front basket.
In actuality, this fellow was letting people know that the movie 'ET' will be playing this Saturday Night at the Missouri Theatre as a fundraiser for Columbia's Second Chance....always a worthy cause.
As the GEEC and I wandered about the BWWW event, we also saw a lot of trick bikes....like the always entertaining tall-bike.  I tried to capture a photo of one, but inadvertenly caught what I believe is Karl from Klunk's, dumpster-diving behind the FlatBranch brewery in the background.
I'd recognize that bar-bike anywhere.

Sunday began as overcast as Saturday was, but that didn't stop the rain-delayed Earth Day celebration from happening - and I was only too happy about this, as I needed to buy my tickets from the upcoming Renaissance Festival and Paintball Tournament.  Luckily, the booth was open for business and taking all comers.  I just hope the gentleman working the ticket window gets a break - because he's got to be in his third trimester, and really shouldn't be on his feet so much.  I can only imagine how much his dogs are barking when he loads up with the chain mail and battle-axe.
Sunday afternoon finally saw the emergence of the sun....and also something pretty surprising along Chapel Hill at the Fairview Methodist Church as I rode by.

Yes, apparently, both at 8:30 and 11:00 there will be a "Glory Hole".  Oh - those crazy Methodists.  In the late afternoon sun, I also spotted this fancy number on a roof rack on Broadway:
Velo Bella indeed.  The best part of this ride, however was the velour, leopard-print center strip running down the taintal region of the saddle.
I'm a little concerned this saddle might just be a little too much fun to ride on....

I hope this finds you all riding in the beautiful weather this week.  Hopefully, I can emerge from the pile of work that is consuming my life this week and return with regaulr updates next week.  Until then, ride safe!

CCPB



1 comment:

  1. I've seen that tall bike operating downtown. I have to admit that I would like to ride it. I would also like to ride a recumbent. And one of those airplanes that you can pedal. Also a penny farthing. I think that's it. No, I wouldn't mind trying one those boats that you can pedal.

    ReplyDelete